Sunday, March 26, 2006

Fat Pigs Fish

Today I read in the news that 'scientists' have created a new type of pig which grows fish oil in itself. Namely omega-3 fatty acids, which humans apparently should eat for the good of their hearts. Now, dont get me wrong, I'm all for a bit of sped up evolution. I myself have experienced the benefits (and pitfalls) of a geneticaly enhanced body. As such I'm a big fan of the X-Men. But these are all naturally occuring variations. I mean, the X-Men and I have experienced naturally occuring 'mutations' in response to our respective environments. Pigs dont even eat fish normally, unless its a stinking old scrap thats been fossilised in an alcoholic's compost.
Also, all this taking of the vitamins or fats out of a particular food seems to me likely to make that vitamin or fat not really do it's job anymore. Scientists are smart people, but they dont seem to realise that food has mysterious qualities that perhaps they will never quite grasp. For example, peanuts are enourmously fatty, and yet they have been found to have a mysterious weight-loss quality built into their very make up.
Where is the sense in a fish-pig?
I just dont think this is going to work out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home